For the past few years we have being asking and ‘begging’ residents, shop owners and visitors to our town, to please do not give handouts to the vagrants and homeless rather SUPPORT SHELTERS, which is a COCT campaign.
But many of us would prefer to do things more locally, below is a list of preferred organisation within our area:
1. NG Church – Gordon’s Bay – various projects
2. Somerset West Night Shelter
3. Bright Lights – a safe home for young boys
4. ACVV – their requirement is more assistance than support
5. United Reformed Church – elevate poverty in the Rusthof and Gustrow areas (this falls within Gordon’s Bay)
6. The ARK – city of refuge which is in Mofeleni
What does the NG Church do in our area?
1. The church supplies 9344 meals per month reach 850 children and a further 80 Homeless people between the ages of 33 and 40 of which 13 of them at are in frail care at The Ark.
2. At the Sen-Cit the Old Age home corner of Greenways and Broadlands road, the church ensures that those who do not have any money left once they have paid their fees to buy the basics and these are supplied on a bi-monthly basis.
3. Gordon’s Bay Primary School – support volunteer group with breakfast supplies for 20 – 30 children and toiletries for approximately 40 children on request
4. Feeding Scheme:
150 children in Casablanca twice a week
Secor Park – 100 children twice a week
Temperance Town Primary School – between 500 and 600 children daily
Donations can be made to:
- GB Outreach (a division of the NG Church)
- Branch : Strand
- Account No 408 916 0665
You can donate to any of the above projects, in your reference state which one you want your money to go to and add FB to the donation so the church knows that the money has come from this post.
As a registered NGO you can receive the necessary documentation for tax purposes and for BEE credits
What does the Lion’s Club do in our area?
1. The Lion’s club oversees feeding of about 30 elderely in Temperance Town three times a week.
Donations of bread, jams, spreads, even meat and vegetables so that they can cook a meal is welcome.
2. The Lion’s Club established the Library at Temperance Town School and oversees the running of this Library
3. The Lion’s Club also supports the ‘sanitary towel’ project in our schools.
- Many more projects are supported locally by the Lions Club. One can phone Paula Lang on 082 896 8913 or donate directly to, reference your name and add FB.
- Lions Club Gordon;s Bay
- First National Bank
- Account no 53680599076
- Branch Code 200912
I will in future posts, give more details on the different organisations listed as our list of preference for donations.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to Inbox me for further information. In continued support to the RECLAIM OUR TOWN campaign GBRA thanks GBNW for the hard work they are doing in assisting the campaign by identifying where the vagrants are and reporting to the COCT, if you see vagrants bedding down in an area – report immediately phone 021 480 7700 and give the position where the vagrants can be found – this will be of great assistance. We know they keep moving around, report regardless, they will be found and the authorities can then start working with them to find out their circumstances and hopefully reintegrate them with their family.